We have a NEW blog!

Come check out our blog at jeffandmelissabrewer.blogspot.com or just click HERE

11.4.08

The Last Day of Spring Volleyball




I guess you could say I've experienced a last... today was my last day of spring volleyball. I've thought a lot about the different feelings I might have when this day came, and it is strange how I feel. I thought I would be happy because spring is such a hard time of year for the volleyballer. Let me take you through a typical week of my life this spring season...

Monday: Wake up at 7:15, shower (if I feel like it), get ready, eat breakfast. Leave the apartment at around 8 to catch the shuttle to campus. Class starts at 8:30. Out of class by 9:20, studying begins from 9:30 until 10:20. Go to institute (Pearl of Great Price! Such a sweet class) at 10:30-11:20. Walk to the Ray B. West building for class at 11:30. Class gets out at 12:20. Walk to the Hub to have lunch with friends/study for Shakespeare quiz that usually comes once or twice a week. 1:15 walk back to RBW to go to Shakespeare at 1:30. Class gets out at 2:20. Practice starts at 2:30 pm so I walk briskly over to the hper or the Spectrum to hustle into practice. I get home from practice at about 5:30 and I will take a shower, eat some dinner and head to the library to research or write papers. Gotta love being an English Major!

Tuesday: Wake up at 6:20 AM, be in the weight room by 6:45. Lift for one hour. Hurry home after lifting to quickly get ready for class and leave my apt. by 8:30. Take the shuttle to campus and walk to the Ray B. West (RBW). I think this has become my second home. Class starts at 9 and goes until 10:15. After class I walk upstairs to another class which lasts from 10:30-11:45. For the first half of the semester we had individual practices which, for me, were on tuesdays and thursdays and went from 12-1. During the second half of the semester we dont have individuals and I will often times try to meet with one of my professors or if there is no reason to meet with them I will go home and make lunch and maybe take a nap before practice starts at 2:30. Practice ends at about 5:30 and I drive home to a large load of reading, studying and writing. Most of the time I just do this at my apartment.

Wednesday: They are pretty much the same as mondays, but I usually have a paper I have to finish by friday that I have procrastinated or reading to do. I read a lot.

Thursday: Exactly the same as Tuesday, except I have a meeting with my coach on this day every other week.

Friday: These days are a little bit lighter, I dont have my morning class, So I go to lifting at 10 and hurry home to get ready for class that starts at 11:30. the rest of the day is much the same as Monday and Wednesday.


As you can see, I have a pretty busy life with volleyball and school, but I do somehow find time to hangout with friends on occasion and do things for fun. I surprise myself a lot of the time with how I find time to even date at all! No wonder I am still single :)

Okay, back on track... my life is going to be changing a LOT in the next 8 months. When volleyball is over I will have a lot more free time, however I hope to be working somewhere and happily adapting to my "new" life. But, after finishing our last game today (we had a tournament up at UVSC), I was somewhat struck with the reality that this was my very last match of my spring season. I only have the fall to play college volleyball and then it is over. WHAT? no more volleyball? It seems like such an impossibility. Anyone who knows me would say that they have never known me without the volleyball aspect in my life. It is such a big part of who I am. It is going to be very strange to not have that in my life anymore. But, I am optimistic about my future. I am scared of the real world, no doubt. But, I am also excited and anxious to be a part of something other than volleyball. I want this last year of mine to be the best of all. I have no regrets and I want our team to succeed and do what we know we can (win the WAC). It will be hard, yes... I know this. But it will be wonderful. I already feel sad that I only have this one year left, but I'll be okay and it will be great. I have made so many good friends and learned a lot about myself. As crazy and busy and controlling as my life seems at times, it is wonderful and good and I love it.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this sounds all too familiar. I remember thinking everything as "lasts". It's definately an interesting way to live your days. Well I'm guessing you wont come upon this situation, but as we all know I got pregnant a minute after my last game at the WAC tounrey. As luck would have it I was due about the time training begins for season. It was a blessing in disguise. I was so busy worrying about the baby that when that time of year came around I didn't have time to be depressed I wasn't continuing that life. You will miss it, but the best advice I got from Uye was to not count down the days until it's over. I also gave that advice to a teammate of ours and I'm afraid she went ahead and did it anyway. It's much better to enjoy and relish your friendships. I can't tell you how sad it is when you don't hear from these girls that you got so personal with, for months. I know times are hard during season and you can't wait to get away from them, but you'll even miss the annoying ones. HAHA, like me. Sorry this is long, just delete it after you read it. Call me soon. Love ya and miss ya.